Initial Photo Gallery Builds AvailablePosted: February 17, 2009
Thanks to the [Blog Herald’s quick write up on the new Mid-Century Photo Gallery plugin](http://www.blogherald.com/2009/02/16/movable-type-monday-a-photo-gallery-theme-and-an-open-thread/) I have gotten a number of volunteers to help test out the first builds of the newly refactored Photo Gallery plugin for Movable Type.
Here is a quick run-down of what I have done with the code and decisions I have made to make it easier to work with:
* I have factored out [Doug Bowman’s Stop Design templates](http://www.majordojo.com/2008/02/stop-design-photo-gallery-plugin-for-movable-type-41.php) into a different plugin. This new plugin relies on the Photo Gallery plugin to operate. You can [download this plugin](/projects/downloads/StopDesignGallery-2.2.zip) as well.
* I have turned the Photo Gallery plugin into more of a framework. Any template set that adds the `photo_gallery => 1` key to their registry will automatically convert Movable Type’s user interface into a more approachable photo management application.
* The [Mid-Century Photo Gallery Theme](http://www.majordojo.com/2009/02/a-photo-gallery-theme-for-movable-type-that-works.php) can be found in the Photo Gallery plugin and there I will maintain it as a reference implementation of a Movable Type photo gallery.
* I have decided to discontinue *free* support for Doug Bowman’s templates. They are simply too complex to do for free. If you rely on these templates for your site, I would be happy to support them as part of a services engagement.
Other things to note:
* You will need to install the perl module [Image::ExifTool](http://search.cpan.org/~exiftool/Image-ExifTool-7.67/).
* Photo Gallery in its current form *works for me*. I cannot guarantee that it will work for you, but that is why I need your help. Please install it and let me know if you encounter any problems.
I hope everyone enjoys the new theme!
[Download PhotoGallery 2.2a now](/downloads/PhotoGallery-2.2b.zip).
*Update – 2/19/2009: Next set of builds available: [Download PhotoGallery 2.2b now](/projects/downloads/PhotoGallery-2.2b.zip). This fixes A LOT of bugs.*
*Update – 2/21/2009: I have created a [homepage for this plugin](/projects/movable-type/photo-gallery/).*