Kill the PennyPosted: September 17, 2010
This rant against the penny reminds me of what I still think is a [pretty frigg’n good idea](http://www.majordojo.com/2008/02/getting-rid-of-the-penny.php):
* Abolish the penny.
* Round all purchases up to the nearest nickel.
* Take the difference and contribute it to a national education fund.
Essentially, one huge, national penny jar.
Although John Green makes some fascinating observations about the penny. Did you know:
* In 1972 a penny was worth what a nickel is worth today. Thank you inflation.
* A penny is only work 1 cent, but it takes 1.7 cents to produce.
* The government spends $70 million a year minting pennies.
* Purportedly, over a $1 billion per year is lost in productivity to people fiddling with pennies.